Category Archives: Card Samples
My Canadian friends will think I am crazy to be posting a Thanksgiving card as our Thanksgiving was October 9 but here is the deal…………………A while back at the Great Canadian Scrapbook Carnival, I picked up the cover plate used in this card. In the feeding frenzy that was going on at the shops at the carnival, I thought this die contained raindrops. My idea was that I would use it to create a stencil so I could use embossing paste and make my own raindrop patterns. Imagine my surprise when I got home and actually looked at the die. There were these cut half circles below the raindrops…………….what were they all about? Then I actually looked at the name of the die………………………..Ruffled feathers……………………………..light bulb came on over my head. They were stylized feathers to be made dimensional and not raindrops at all. Now I have spent mega bucks on things and not batted an eye, in fact, in Vegas I have spent mega bucks for nothing at all, but suddenly it had become my life’s work to justify the five bucks that I spent on this die. I did use it to make a raindrop stencil, I looked on the internet and saw that someone used it to make a shake roof on a 3 d house and took note of that, but when I came across this stamp from Judith and Heather, I knew it was the perfect image for the cover plate.
So here it is, and I am not so crazy after all as I can say a hearty Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends.
Today’s sponsor is Reverse Confetti and I did not have any stamps from them. I do have the All Framed Up Die which is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITES, so I wanted to use it here. I took inspiration from Michele Ferguson who used a reinforcement die to turn a frame into a tag. The image in the tag is from Hero Arts Naughty Elves.
For Day 2 I was inspired by Naki Rager who used a clear plastic bag as a shaker element for a card. I didn’t have any cellophane bag that i thought would work. I did consider some clear plastic and the fuse tool, but my skills with the fuse tool are definitely suspect. I anticipated entirely too much anxiety and frustration to try this today. I settled on acetate sewed into a shaker bag. It worked out quite well.
I have mentioned before that I enjoy doing challenges. Well today’s Make it Monday was particularly enticing to me as I had never tried stamping on a photo and I had just bought some new inks that should and did dry on a glossy surface. Yay! I was lucky because I have a little program on my computer that will make collages of my pictures. This allowed me to quickly resize my photo, frame it, add text and set down the elements any where I wanted on a 4 X 6 card. This left the room to do the stamping that I wanted to add. I used a sentiment from Joyful Christmas and images from Post and Parcel.
The stamps stick like Gorilla glue on glossy photo paper. I used all the magnets I had from three different stamp positioners and I still couldn’t keep the photo paper from flipping up to the lid with the stamps. I had to put a piece of acetate over the photo to line up the small ornaments as they steadfastly stuck to the glossy paper and would not adhere to the lid at all. This kind of begs the question, “Why do stamps sets come stuck on acetate instead of photo paper?” In fact I am going to try that out in the stamp sets that have tiny images that DO NOT stick to acetate once they have been inked once or twice. Maybe I can keep those tiny images from getting lost……………….yes, it worked ………………some tiny images that I had resorted to storing in a zip lock bag, stuck well to a piece of photo paper. Hmmm!
Anyway, I ended up being very pleased with the photo card.
Now somebody is really trying to tell me something. The Make it Monday challenge has featured the use of a wreath for the last three weeks in a row. I have mentioned two things regarding this. The first is that I do not have any type of wreath stamp or die from Papertrey Ink and the second is that I like a challenge. But three weeks in a row, people…………………now that is a challenge.
Looking through my dies once again, while whispering the mantra, “what can I adapt?”, I came across the heart frame from Shakers and Sprinkles. Check, I will use that and somehow make it look Christmasy. I also didnt have any ribbon from Papertrey but found some holly ribbon from May Arts, that I thought would start to transform the wreath into a Christmas theme. A little bouquet of greenery from Spruce and Sprigs was an easy choice. Finally I found a little sentiment in Post & Parcel that would tie in Christmas with the heart shaped wreath.
The background is a 3D woodgrain embossing folder from Stampin Up that is just remarkable in its depth and detail. Voila! Done!
This week’s challenge at Papertrey Ink is to make a glittery mat for a card. I like it when these challenges remind me to take out a product that I haven’t used for a while. Lizzie used the white adhesive backed sheets from Papertrey Ink to make a glittered mat for her card. I think that I have only used these sheets to make stickers out of small stamps or dies so I wanted to see how they would work as a mat. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make a card with a nice glittered edge. I would probably have dipped all four sides of the mat into the glitter and then attached it to the main image with glue or tape. Lizzie’s method of attaching the image to the mat first and then just glittering the edges worked quite well. I did have a small crises with the image wanting to go on slightly askew, but I managed to get it back off and straightened it up and reattached. While the paper is not heavy weight, it held up quite nicely, especially when I added foam tape to make the mat dimensional. I will definitely use this method in the future.